Monday, October 13, 2008


I think I will give you a little break from videos and actually write a little something in this post. We had a good weekend. The boys all headed down to Bear Creek (hunting farm in south Georgia) on Friday morning while Annabelle and I hung out here at the house. I forgot to send the camera with them so we just have a few phone pictures of one of the many (50+ is what they reported) fish caught over the weekend. Seth said it was so cute to watch them fight the fish as they reeled them in. Their weekend was full of fishing, mule rides, campfires, visits to watch the dirt bike riders at a track nearby, and walks through the woods.


little boy heaven.







In complete contrast, Annabelle and I hung out with Lanie and Lucie doing all things girly like playing kitchen and dressing up. They came over on Saturday while Amie and Chuck went to the parade of homes. The only thing Lanie wanted to do was school with me, so I pulled out some of the books I didn't send with the guys and taught her some reading and math. It was so different to sit down and work with Lanie on her reading. The first and foremost difference was that she was literally begging me to do it. I know it has a little to do with the fact that I am her aunt and she doesn't have to do schoolwork everyday, but I think the main reason is just that she is a girl. Girls love to play school and playing school pretty much equals school. I can't tell you how many hours I spent making up little worksheets for Lorie and Leslie as a child. We went to school and then came home and either played house or school.

Most boys just aren't that way including Adam and Caleb. That is why it is so much harder to home school boys, yet that is also why it is such a great thing for boys to be home schooled. They need a different method that includes lots of physical activity and patience on the teacher's part. So y'all always be praying for me in this respect cause I tell ya, I need it. Then again, I do believe that it can be such a great important option for girls as well ............especially when they hit those middle school years and start to terrorize one another emotionally.


Oh and here is my disclaimer: I do not believe that homeschooling is for everyone by any means. I just think it is a really cool option that we have out there.

Lastly, we would like to say a big thank you to Aunt Leslie who sent the boys REAL marine hats and REAL dog tags (with their names on them) and REAL marine face paint for their Halloween costumes this year. They boys are so excited and Caleb has not taken the hat off without some serious convincing thus far.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sure make those hats look cute! I love how Adam flips up the bill.

Sunday Grant Photography said...

oh my goodness what a great post. i appreciate you always being so open about home schooling you are really teaching me as well. i love how much your boys are into war and hunting. they are total boys!

Becky Swann said...

Glad you got some girl time in this weekend, you've earned some. I love how you take the time and really understand each of your children! You are a good mom!

Unknown said...

Gosh your kids are cute. I mean soooo cute!
That boy trip sounds perfect, i love that you guys can do tha, split up and do the girl and boy thing, that is sure to be fun when they are older too.
What a great fish that Caleb caught. That picture needs framing.

Niki said...

I know what you mean about boys and girls learning styles. In the last 6 years I've had so many mothers of girls who say that all their daughters want to do at home is play school. I can't think of one boy's mother who has said that.

That fishing trip sounds awesome to me.

Anonymous said...

Those hats are cool!! Boys will be boys.. Paul wouldn't darn have a boy who wasn't into war, hunting and football! Fishing too!

Those Harrison kids are cuties!!