Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Here is a glimpse of what a typical illness running through our house looks like for my children.

Annabelle: a little more whiny, sluggish, and weepy. She has only thrown up once in her life so far and usually sleeps a lot when feverish.

Adam: quiet and sweet, sleeps and rarely complains. Pitiful to see, but easy to look after.....takes medicine like a champ.

Caleb: Any sort of minor fever makes Caleb nauseous. When Caleb is nauseous, he climbs up on the toilet seat in the fetal position and gags and spits and moans and heaves for hours on end. I feel helpless because all I can do is sit there beside him and tell him how sorry I am and how much I love him. It is distressful. Rather than sleeping more like the other two sick kids, Caleb is up the entire night moaning and groaning. Here are a couple of comical things he said last night during all of this:
"Moma, I know how I got sick. It is cause I pick my nose too much."
(I tell him that all of the time----stop picking your nose, you are going to get sick)
"I think I'm gonna diiiiiieee. This is awful. This is worse than getting a haircut."

However, he is now sleeping soundly on the couch and hopefully this sickness will just be another bit of our history by morning.

9 comments:

Courtney said...

Sounds like out of the three kids.. you have "sickness" fairly easy.. if you can even call it that.. But poor Caleb.. I wouldn't know what to do either! I hope everyone starts feeling better soon.. I'm guessing if he is picking his nose.. he is eating them too!?! Which honestly, I've heard prevents sickness.. but don't tell him I said that.. it might get him to keep on pickin'!

Jessie said...

i needed a laugh today so thank you. i feel like a crazy mom today.

jack handy's quote about turning weaknesses into strengths. love it and love him.

and i loved hearing about how all your kids handle sickness. my girls have different m.o's too. but not this dramatic. caleb's analysis on why he was sick cracked me up!

Jessie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunday Grant Photography said...

Oh my goodness that was hysterical. Worse then getting a haircut! Love it. I hopehe gets better and I knowit is so sad, but oh so funny!!

KatieKate said...

Aw, LOVE the drama. He'll make big bucks someday as an actor or a bsketball player :)

Unknown said...

so sad for you all but o my this made me laugh.
missed you tonight in class though, amy did a great job.

Anonymous said...

finally you are blogging and i am in tears from laughing- Worse than a hair cut????? Poor fellow! I miss you guys! Love A

Becky Swann said...

SO I think Caleb and I are on the same page when we are sick, I convince myself I am close to death every time:)
Glad you guys are doing better, it breaks my heart to have 1 sick much less 3!
and another thing love me some Anne Lamont!

Niki said...

Oh Poor Caleb! I hope he is better soon! His comments are so funny. So glad you made a record to share with him. He will hopefully get a kick out of that later...much later.

What's not funny is Courtney's comment! That is super gross, Courtney! Surely that's not true. Is it?