Thursday, August 16, 2007

In Defense of Homeschooling

Today was the first day of school for all of the public schools in our area so we got plenty of inquiries about the boys' education at the gym and around town this morning. I suppose that I should get used to defending my choice to homeschool since so many people want an explanation for it. I feel like I need a concise answer that is not too offensive for those who ask. I have been thinking of homeschooling for over 6 years and truly believe it is the best way to educate one's children when done properly. So here is my politically correct answer for folks:

We are homeschooling because it is more efficient time-wise. I can accomplish what a kindergarten teacher teaches her students in a day within 2-3 hours. I really believe that 8 hours of school for a 5 or 6 year old boy is too much. They need more physical activity and outdoor time. There is such a great network of homeschoolers in this area and many opportunities for my children as well.

I was going to list some of my other reasons that I probably won't discuss with my daily acquaintances but I don't have time and some are pretty offensive.

Here is a good link to some reasons instead:




I will probably just say:

I just want to shelter my children as much as possible from the "real" world so that they can grow up and be really weird.

How about this:

We really need our kids in working our home-based business.

Oh my goodness, I knew I was forgetting something. I had better sign them up for school asap!

I still nurse them all so they have to be homeschooled.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Oh, I love your "I want to shelter my children from the real world" comment. My daughter attends a Waldorf school and I am always amazed at people's response to a school that pretty much bans TV, has a modest dress code, and thinks young children should be outside, not at a desk for 6 or 7 hours. So go toit...your kids are really lucky!