Thursday, August 21, 2008

THE TOOTH FAIRY


We are in the midst of the tooth-loosing stage at our house these days. Caleb has lost all four of his bottom teeth and Adam just lost his first one this evening. I say "lost" in the case of Adam but that doesn't do the removal of the tooth process justice with that little guy. Let me start by explaining the two distinct levels of pain tolerance in my boys. Adam is the toughest of the toughest (besides Lanie who isn't quite right when it comes to pain) and Caleb is just............not very tough. I used to think of a having a high tolerance for pain as a good character quality one possesses, but now I believe it has more to do with physical pain receptors that we each are born with. Does that make sense? So, the ability to bear pain is not only due to the idea of just being emotionally tough and all, but is more due to the fact that pain actually feels differently to some people. I have seen this played out with Caleb and Adam. Caleb painfully teethed for weeks as a baby, while Adam's baby teeth just appeared one day. No warning, just there they were. Then there is the shameful fact that when Adam broke his femur bone at the age of two, we didn't even take him to the doctor until the next morning because he quit crying pretty quickly and we were in Georgia so we waited..... bad parent feeling, for sure when we found out it was actually broken.

ANYWAYS, back to the teeth. Caleb has probably set some sort of record for how long a tooth can be loose and holding on by a strand before it falls out naturally. Adam, on the other hand, had a this tooth that was just barely loose and he yanked and pushed on it .....and had me pull as hard as I could...... and had Seth pull on it........... and had Emily pull on it... until we finally got that darn thing out. ( it did have a permanent tooth growing in well behind it so I thought it would be good to get it out anyhow) He was so excited to finally lose a tooth!

Let me back up and tell you why it is so exciting to loose a tooth around here. It is not because they get a lot of money. It is actually because they have a personal relationship with the tooth fairy herself. Emily (10 yr. old neighbor) has taken it upon herself to put on this whole masquerade of tooth fairy-ness. She writes them notes from the tooth fairy and even calls them every other day or so to tell them about her adventures and how they need to be well-behaved and all. I am astounded at how gullible they are. It almost worries me. And then I think, "wow, if I accomplish teaching them anything in school it will be quite an achievement" OK, I am kidding, they are both pretty darn smart. just gullible.


It really is cute and quite helpful. The tooth fairy tells them to make sure and remember to wear their shoes to the gym, do their handwriting assignment, and brush their teeth well.

I had better go and put Adam's money under his pillow. I forgot one time with Caleb. It was OK because I just snuck up that morning and switched it out. I'll bet you never knew that the tooth fairy can come during breakfast!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they really believe the tooth fairy calls them? I was laughing pretty hard about the tooth fairy reminding them to wear their shoes to the gym. They are getting too cute.
-Les

Julie said...

Yes, they do. She let me hear the accent she would use to disguise her voice on the phone and I told her it was going to blow her cover because they would SURELY recognise her voice. BUT THEY DON"T!!!!

It is really funny to watch and listen as they have these conversations.

Also I meant to write something about how I am not sure what to do with these teeth. Mom used keep ours in an old jewelry box,but that seems kinda gross. Adam still thinks you want his, Leslie.

KatieKate said...

That's adorable.

I was just told yesterday by my 8 year-old niece that the tooth fairy isn't real... not like 'I'm in on the secret' by 'hey- you know this, right?' It was hilarious. I pretended to be shocked.

sweet little hearts :)

Anonymous said...

OHHHH . . . I love ya'll so much! I just freaked out because I just realized how much I am going to miss you guys! Your kids are like my own! I think this is your best blog ever! They are so cute and funny!
Aunt Lorie

Anonymous said...

P.S. I put all of those exclamation marks in just for you.
Aunt Lorie

Anonymous said...

i'm with you on the apin receptors thing. some people really are just tougher than others. like for instance, i had natural childbirth the first time and it was the most wretched thing i could ever imagine myself doing again and so since have not and don't plan to this time either. really love my drugs now. but some people can just handle it can't they? and i just don't believe that those people were in as much pain as i was. does that make sense? maybe i'm just being prideful.

Anonymous said...

didn't mean to be mysterious there. that was me...jessie

Sunday Grant Photography said...

oh if that is not the sweetest thing ever. i cannot beliebe this is all from your 10 year old neighbor. how cute!

Emily said...

Tell the boys that the tooth fairy says she'll call them later today!

Unknown said...

the concept of the tooth fairy always scared me as a child, but glad it works so well for the boys.
Will emily continue this with Annabelle too, that would be awesome.
loved seeing you guys the other night. we still can't believe how high the boys were in that tree, what little climbers you have.

Emily said...

Hey julie man you get alot of coments. I still can not beleive the boys really beleive that I have been calling them and all.
Tell them that gentry and I love them all!
Em and gentry

Anonymous said...

hey Emily told me how to wright a coment. I really like your blog!!
Thanks for being a blessing in my life!
love Gentry

Rick said...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE TOOTH FAIRY ISN'T REAL!?!?!?!?! SHE SO IS!!!!

Emily said...

hey I still can not beleive that I am real something real.
Emily P