Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween '08









I realised the other day that the bad thing about blogging is you say everything interesting (that is not offensive) within the first six months or so blogging.........and not many people read it then anyways.......and then you go to write a post and think "I am pretty sure I have said that at one point or another". For example, Halloween, I wrote my thoughts on this holiday last year with all the slutty costumes and glorification of gore and guts.

I thought I would have nothing much to say this year but let me tell you about our night anyway. We began by missing out on our morning activities because Annabelle ran a fever all last night. I had to get Kelly to sub my step aerobics class (that I was VERY excited about wearing a costume for and playing Thriller) and cancel the geography co-op class that I was suppose to teach. In turn, we missed the Halloween parties at both places. I told the boys that we would make up for it by trick or treating in another neighborhood along with ours. We got all dressed up and made the rounds in our neighborhood before dark so that Annabelle would not be too scared or cranky. It was a nice time to visit with the neighbors and the kids got a lot of yummy candy. Then Seth stayed with Annabelle and the boys and I headed to the Biltmore Lake community for our second round of trick or treating. That place was PACKED! I could not believe the amount of cars and people lining the streets. One house even had a haunted tour you could take. We parked and began the walk. The first two houses the boys deemed "too scary" to approach so we continued on to the next house where it appeared the DEVIL himself was in the yard staring us down. Then some guy in a creepy clown costume started chasing some kids through the yard with a machete. If you know anything about my boys, you probably can guess that they were pretty scared. I asked them if they just wanted to leave and they said yes....because I sure wanted to get out of there myself. As we hurried to the car we passed 4 or 5 adults in REALLY scary costumes that put the boys in tears.

Thankfully I had seen on the Kid Friendly Asheville blog earlier today that there was a fall festival at West Asheville Baptist Church and we still had an hour before that all ended, so we headed that way. It was wonderful! Caleb and Adam had tons of fun playing all of the games and hanging out with some of our favorite neighbors. That is what we will be doing next year for sure.

The best news is that Seth and I get to dress up tomorrow night and go a few places to hang out with some friends. I love to dress up. I love that Seth will dress up right along with me.


7 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

i missed you in class and your thriller music. do it for monday! we had hardly any trick or treaters and we live on a circle which is perfect. maybe they were all at biltmore lake getting scared. what in the world. I do think that halloween is a time for people to dress up in in appropriate attire as well. I appreciate that you make their costumes and make them sweet and age appropriate. that is so fun that you guys are dressing up tonight. have fun. what are you going to be?

Heidi and Richard King said...

The all look so great. I wish you lived closer I would have loved to see them. I can't believe Biltmore Lake...seriously some people are just distrubing. Glad you found a good spot for next year though. You could always come to Church St. in Black Mtn...quite mild and cute in this small little town.

KatieKate said...

Aw, I love the little Dorothy! So precious.

Unknown said...

Sad we didn't get to see you teach in costume that would have been awesome. Love the costumes on the kids. Glad you guys had a good fun time.

Leah said...

What great pictures Julie!! I LOVE the camo boys! I think my brothers (I have 4) were camo men every year for 10 years. :-P I love little boys!

Courtney said...

I can't believe they had an adult running around chasing kids that is very distrubing! I would have left too!

Your kids looked cute as usual!!

Kid Friendly Asheville said...

Hi! Thanks for mentioning Kid Friendly!

I am glad you had a great time at West Asheville Baptist! Two of my kids were there as well!