Sunday, November 16, 2008



We have had a full week here at the Harrison Abode and I am glad that it is Sunday and I can REST a bit. We started out the week Monday morning with a fun filled visit to the Cobb's house (aka heaven on earth for my boys) where a friend and I gleaned some wise homeschooling advice from Cynthia while the 9 older boys played outside. It was a great time for all and I sure did enjoy being with someone who home schools twice as many kids (5 out of 6 being boys) as me and is still sane and happy. After that I taught 2 classes that evening and then two on Tuesday and Wednesday as well which wore me out. Then we showed our house on Thursday for the first time since it has been listed so I (with a little help from the kids) worked like a madwoman cleaning all day for that. (the buyers wanted "a more conventional neighborhood") Friday I taught the Geography co-op class, which reminds me:

One of the things each teacher (mom) has done for the Geography class is to tell a little about the languages that are spoken in the country they are presenting. For example, the mom who taught about Mexico started the class speaking in fluent Spanish (she used to be a Spanish teacher) and another had some recordings of Chinese. Anyway, when I started our class I told the kids who I was and that we were going to be talking about Africa. This one little boy raised his hand and said completely seriously, "Why are you speaking with such a Southern accent?" He thought it had to do with my presentation and that I was putting on! I laughed a lot (as did the other moms) and told him that I actually always talk like this. He was as embarrassed as a home schooled 7 year old can be (not at all) and we continued on. No, I still think he was confused. I thought it was hilarious!

Seth was out of town for a long weekend for a Builders Golf Tournament and so Lorie and Kiah spent the night with us Friday night. Lorie and I stayed up pretty late talking and I played and sang all of my new stuff on the guitar for her. It was a fun time. Then Saturday I taught class and we spent most of the day at Mimi and Grandaddy's house so the boys could play with Kiah while Lorie worked. Also, I sang and played at church this morning so I spent every spare moment practicing for that this past week.

When Seth walked in the house I said, "Hi honey, I am glad you are home. Annabelle is taking a nap and the boys are in the backyard with Taylor and I really need a nap." So I took one and I feel much better now. Ah, rest.......... Now I need to start something for dinner.


I will leave you with lots of pictures from Lorie's camera:


This one is Caleb at Pigeon Forge on the balcony of the condo waiting to get his hair cut. He is mad as always and I had to tell him that he was not going to Dollywood until he got a haircut. I just love this picture because it is that little scowl that he has a lot of times. OK, maybe I don't love that scowl, but I think I will appreciate capturing this moment years down the road.






The rest are mostly from the weekend that Lorie took the boys to Boone with her. They went to Tweetsie Railroad and must be doing a climbing wall there.
































































Kiah and Annabelle snuggling on the couch at Mimi's house.

Now, go read Amie's blog and leave her a comment.

9 comments:

KatieKate said...

Is it possible for you to break my guitar-playing plateau learning by teaching me over the internet?

I'm guessing not.

KatieKate said...

I can play.
Er, I *used ta* could play a little. Teensy little tiny bit. Like, D G F adn Em. I just don't play enough to keep it going. But this winter may be my comeback. I've got the itch real bad.

The Sooz said...

So.... when are we getting together to play? It sounds like you've got a bag full of songs that I need to hear. I don't really have a lot these days. I don't have time to do a lot of writing.

The Sooz said...

p.s.
Where did you find your words?

Unknown said...

umm, does adam have a mohawk? did I miss that in an earlier post, becuase that is def. blog worthy i'd say.
I want to hear you sing and play, maybe you and becky can sing me to sleep one night. I really miss hearing you at Trinity. I bet it was great.
glad you got a nap, sounds like you've been real busy. I was tired reading it all. hilarious about your african lesson.

Julie said...

Sooz- Glad you asked, cause it is a pretty neat story. My Papaw gave me this old 1895 hymnal a couple of years ago and I pulled it out and started pouring over the words of the songs. The music is in shape notes (very cool) so I can't read them anyhow. I put tunes to about 5 of them in a couple of days but haven't done anything since. This was all inspired quite a bit by my new obsession with Red Mountain Music.

Yeah, we need to get together. Can you come over here? Or we could meet at my mom's house. I am going to go listen to your song you sent me again now.

Julie said...

annie-the mohawk is from a while ago. Isn't he too cute?

Niki said...

That's great you showed your house. It is so frustrating to clean for nothing, though, isn't it? I hate that.

Looks like you guys had a great week, though. It was fun seeing you on Tuesday. It made me miss going to your other classes.

Adam and Annie said...

We'll be praying for your house! It must be insane to try and keep it clean, you are an amazing multi-taking woman! I loved your African/Southern accent story! Some of the girls at work couldn't believe I was married to a southern boy with a REAL southern accent!