Monday, January 12, 2009

SCHOOL STUFF

It is good to be back into the swing of things. Homeschooling is going well these days. Caleb has shown a lot of improvement lately which is basically due to the fact that he is simply getting older. For example, Caleb's reading improved over the month of December..........however, we did very little schooling during the whole pneumonia bout. For the longest time he and Adam were just about on the same level in reading and math, but suddenly the gap has gotten much bigger. It hasn't made things harder for me to teach them together though. They just read different books, do different workbooks, and I give Caleb harder math problems than Adam.
All in good time, my dears!


This semester, our co-op class is doing Zoology. We will be doing a unit on the flying and water animals (the fifth day of creation). It should be fun. Botany was good and this will be similar. We have also started making weekly trips to the big downtown library every Wednesday. Mimi watches Annabelle for us because she earned herself the nickname "Sabotagiiiieeee" last time she came along. We borrowed some books on cd for our trips to Black Mountain and it has been wonderful! We just finished up "Across five Aprils" which is one of my personal favorite books. we learned so much about the civil war and enjoyed a really great story at the same time. There are many other things that I want to do with cds in the car as well. The boys are such a captive audience at this time of the day so I am really trying to take advantage of it. We also plan on getting back to the Wednesday night kid camp at our church this week. They will be doing pottery and then a catechism class.......should be interesting to see how the pottery works out.

So there is a little update for anyone interested in the education process of Caleb and Adam Harrison.

Here is a little video of Annabelle to finish out. She is looking a bit rough, but oh well. She loves hanging out like this. Uncle Jonathan says she looks like a little hippy boy when her hair is down.

8 comments:

Becky Swann said...

That video is awesome I love that crazy child! I liked the update on schooling it always is interesting to me about how people homeschool it sounds like you have alot of fun creative ways to help them learn!

Niki said...

Annabelle is hilarious. She's so at home in front of the camera, I love it.
I am definitely interested in the homeschool updates, too. You guys stay so busy! It's very impressive.
I will have to check out Across Five Aprils. I don't think I've heard of it.

Adam and Annie said...

I love homeschool updates too! Zoology should be really fun for the boys. Annabelle is so funny. I love how she strips down but keeps her necklace on!

KatieKate said...

I'm interested! I can't wait to get to have these discussions for real when it comes to Ry Girl and school. I think I'd like to do a few years with her myself... and when that time comes it's nice to know there are good people out there I can chat with.

Sunday Grant Photography said...

i really do like them too. i am actually really fascinated and it sounds like you have such a wonderful co-op. is it pretty cool for you to go back and re-visit old lessons from you childhood? i would think it would be, you are more likely to be interested now. annabelle is SO cute, and your boys are so sweet. i think that BellaRose has a crush on Adam.

Heidi and Richard King said...

I have missed so many posts. I love your family and all you do with them. Thanks for being our very cool homeschool mom to learn from. You do so many things so well...

Jessie said...

annabelle is hilarious. she reminds me of lucy. when did she turn 2? they must be close in age.

Anonymous said...

Julie she is just the cutiest southern little annabelle i have ever seen~!!!! I love her from the bottom of my heart!!
-Em