Friday, March 20, 2009

Biltmore and the Game

I have been meaning to blog all week long, but just haven't gotten to it until today, especially since the last post was such a downer.
Let me start with Becky's blog game.

Here are the rules:
write 5 "beliefs" ...rules you live by and you are not allowed to get serious or preachy, political or religious! These are just for fun and to see if other people are as quirky as you!

1. I "believe" in beautiful song lyrics.
2. I "believe" that little boys should be allowed to get VERY dirty.
3. I "believe" that if the weather is anything above 65 degrees, one must be outside as much as possible. (maybe I can even go with 60 on this)
4. I "believe" in my friend Kelly's jewelry. I got a necklace and earrings that she made for my birthday and have worn nothing else since.
5. I "believe" that music is always better live. (Annie said this one too, but I have been thinking of my list for a few days and I promise this one was mine before I read hers. Great minds think alike!)


I now tag Jill, Susannah and Jessie.....

One Wednesday, the boys and I dropped Annabelle off at Mimi's and headed to the Biltmore grounds to explore and make future plans. We only had a couple of hours to hang out so we went straight to the farm and the Outdoor Center. The farm has all sorts of crafts, games and antique farm equipment to check out. We loved watching the Black Smith's presentation and stayed for a couple of demonstrations. I took advantage of being one of the few people there and spent some time talking with the lady at the inforamtion stand. She said that as it gets warmer, there will be live music everyday, craftsmen set up in each horse stall, a woodworking presentation, storytelling and lots of other special events. Talk about fun educating! Plus, I have always been a bit obssessed with anything from that time period (late 1800s) so I got super excited about it all. Next time I am wearing a dress and sunbonnet.











No, I guess I won't because next time we will definitely be biking and hiking all over the miles and miles of trails and paths. We picked up maps from the folks at the Outdoor center and got the lowdown on the cool places to explore. I can't wait!



The boys played and played on the wagon and tractor. I had to drag them away!















There were all sorts of old timey games in the middle of the farm to try........

AND there is a petting zoo thing:















These are pictures of the crowns Mimi made the kids. They were so cute. What a great Mimi!



8 comments:

Jill said...

you are such a cool mom! those are they types of outings your kids will remember forever!

Niki said...

Way to take advantage of your Biltmore pass. What a fun field trip. It's so cool that your kids are going to associate learning with so many fun experiences. That's pretty unusual.

Sunday Grant Photography said...

I love everything you believe in. I also think little girls should get dirty too! If BellaRose is ouside then she is generally filthy! I wish we still had our Biltmore pass. It would be fun to do that stuff with you.

Adam and Annie said...

I had no idea Biltmore had a farm and outdoor center. It looked like such a fun day. I know I always say it, but those boys are so cute! (So is Annabelle, but she wasn't in a straw hat!) I will also share with you music being better heard live. Speaking of, I'm going to a GREAT bluegrass band tonight! SO excited!!! Get my baby dancing in my belly! =)

Julie said...

You are quite right, Sunday. Girls should be allowed to get dirty too. Annabelle is always right there with the boys in a creek or mud puddle! BellaRose would do well with my kids!

Jessie said...

i had no idea the biltmore had so much for kids. and families for that matter.
i as well believe in kelly's jewelry. i'm wearing a necklace of hers as i type. she's so talented. another thing about kelly is that it's kind of uncanny how much you and she have in common what with the homeschooling, classes, builder husbands....

Becky Swann said...

Love it! Especially #1

KatieKate said...

The photo of you and the boys... with the hat... I love it. Would it be totally weird for me to put it on my fridge? Maybe. I'll restrain. But, I love it. And I love the farm field trip- so great.