Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The goal for this week is to get bedtime schedules under control. Homeschooling doesn't demand a super strict schedule so I find my little laid-back self being much too lax on the kids in ways.......especially bedtime. You may know how this goes, a beautiful harmonious tone comes over the household and everyone gets along and plays quietly as bedtime draws near........knowing that if they act up, it is off to bed! Then, of course, the routine itself is quite long. We must have a little snack, brush teeth, straighten up, read books in Annabelle's room, read with the boys alone in their room and finish off with prayers and any discussions that might arise. The reading takes a while because I enjoy it just as much as them and always end up reading 3 or 4 chapters in the Little House books each night. (By the way, the Ingalls' garden and entire wheat crop was destroyed by grasshoppers last night. It was devastating and nearly brought the 3 of us to tears. Can you imagine?) We really need to get the process started around 6:30 or 7:00 to be in bed and done before 9:00, but it is really hard to start thinking about bedtime that early for me. To make the situation just a little harder, I am worn down by that time and just somewhat tired of "mothering".

So there you have it; All of my excuses for why my kids aren't asleep and it just happens to be 10:00 pm!! Hopefully, by writing this all out and sharing it with you, I can create just a little more accountability on my part. I feel like sleep is VERY essential in life and everything goes more smoothly when we are well-rested. I want my kids to be in bed at a decent hour. I really need to "tighten up this ship!"

Here are a few pictures of the kids playing with our new neighbors. Lucie spent the week with Mimi and we got to have her a couple of afternoons. It was wonderful for Annabelle to have a playmate. The two of them adore one another and get along so very well!



We stayed outside lots!


















Annabelle loves Emily's Barbie jeep. I am sure she would ride around the cul-de-sac for hours is we would let her.






















The indoor garden is coming along this year. We have a lot more plants this time around and they are almost ready to be transferred outdoors. The boys are very excited and interested in it all, but I would have to say that Adam is more so than Caleb. We also made bat houses for the Zoology classes so I will have to get a picture up of them soon. Hopefully there will be very few mosquitoes at our house this summer!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh my.. I can only imagine how hard it must be to get your children all to bed.. it would be sad to start the process at 6:30 or 7.. but sleep is so important! I know I can't function without it!! Can't wait to see the bats!!

The Sooz said...

That last picture of Adam is great.

Sunday Grant Photography said...

Julie you write so well. It just flows!
It is hard with one baby some nights so I can't imagine with 3!!! I totally understand that you are just tired of being a mother by then. Love that you have already started your garden inside. we are SO ready to start planting. You do so many cool things with the kids!

Niki said...

Cool, we are about to start our garden inside too. This will be the first time we've done a real vegetable garden and it's pretty much all on Nick. He is excited about it, though. We might be calling for tips.

That was so sad about the grasshoppers. I got so made at them when I read it. they better stay away from my crop.

Jill said...

I hear you on routines, although our bedtime routine is down pat. Our morning routine is horrible, I makes me not even want to get our of bed because I know as soon as or sometimes even before I get to the boys room I will be scolding and yelling at them. I need help with the oldest is he so NON independent. I thought that telling him he would have to wear his PJ's to nursery school this morning if he didn't get up and get going would motivate him to get dressed. he says "Ok, i'll just wear my pajamas"...damn backfire! Thus began the drama of getting ready for school...and think only 13 more years of this!

Jessie said...

i feel your bedtime struggle. our routine has to start 45 minutes before we want them out of our sight and it really is hard to get going at 7:15, to get them in bed by 8. it seems like we just finish w/ dinner and then we're thinking about it. i think this is my problem w/ keeping the house picked up w/ toys. i always tell myself that we'll pick up before bed but something happens and we don't have time to do it at night. and by 8, i feel like throwing them in bed! hope that you get this figured out. sleep is one of the most important factors in whether or not i'm happily parenting.