Monday, March 30, 2009

You'll never guess where we went on Saturday night! The Rodeo. Yep, my dad called me that morning and asked if we wanted some tickets to go see Joey and Rory (from Can You Duet on CMT......he and mom loved that show) in concert that just so happened to be the opening act for the local rodeo at the Ag Center. Hhhhhmmm, let me think... free live country music? Oh yeah, count me in! So, I put on my cowboy boots and loaded the boys up for a funfilled evening of "bulls and blood and dust and mud..."



The music was quite good and I enjoyed it a lot, but let me tell ya, we were the only folks there who came to see Joey and Rory and oh-by-the-way a rodeo after. The crowd was there for the rodeo, which was more entertaining than I would have expected. First off the whole thing was set to a soundtrack and they played snippets of MANY songs throughout the evening ranging from ACDC to Kanye west. Think a local minor league baseball game times about 10. The whole thing was very dramatic with lighting and music and all that. Then came the actual bull riding. I was a nervous wreck everytime they came out on one. That stuff is dangerous and I was terrified one of them would get seriously injured on each ride. I do know one thing, it could not be good for their backs to be jerked around like that and I hope they all have a good chiropractor!


My boys were impressed to put it mildly. Adam had already told me on the ride there that he would probably like to be a cowboy when he grows up. We decided that he could still be one but not the kind that rides bulls..... cause my nerves couldn't handle that! Maybe he could just dress like one instead. Or better yet, maybe he will be a country music singer! By the way, his outfit was entirely his own idea....hat and all. He was disappointed that he had no cowboy boots to complete it.

The highlight of the rodeo part of the night was watching the girls do the barrel racing. Now that was impressive! We all loved it.





Back to Rory and Joey.......if you don't know them, you really should. I loved watching them perform. They are hugely talented and I think it is so refreshing to hear some true country music that THEY actually wrote. He is the songwriter and guitar player and she sings lead. They met at the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville and fell in love about ten years ago. *sigh* -----so sweet
Adam and I were going to get a picture with them but couldn't take the line at that hour of the night so we headed home instead.

Thanks Grandaddy and Mimi for a fun night!

I will leave you with a new video of Annabelle singing some Annie tunes. I apologise for how loudly I am singing in the background. I didn't realise it would pick up my voice so much.





Ok, I better get going now. We have a big week ahead........teaching co-op, coffee house at church, Greenway 5k, big music night after....... I will keep you posted as always!

11 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

that video was awesome!!! Yeah I finally got to hear you sing, beautiful. I have to say i love a rodeo. I have only been to a couple, but they are still awesome. pretty much if horses are involved then i love it! looks like fun!
I am excited about the greenway challenge, looks like it is going to be beautiful.

KatieKate said...

I need to fix my speakers... no sound. Booooo. But I'm jealous about the rodeo! I always liked the barel racing the best, too. So fun- and the girls were always soooo pretty :)

FYI, I worked for a chiropractor in high school and college, and most rodeos have a chiropractor behind the scenes that takes care of the guys before and after their rides. Their bodies are a mess!

Becky Swann said...

I can't believe you went! I love Joey and Rory and I told Jeremiah I wanted to go! I should have just gone with you guys! the bull-riding freaks me out too!

Becky Swann said...

Oh and I forgot to say how cute that video is! I can't wait until ellen can sing with me...oh the fun car rides we will then have!

Becca said...

Julie, stumbled on your post. I'm a huge J&R fan, was planning on going to Asheville on Sat, but couldn't make it. Do you have any pictures you'd like to share of them? I'm a part of the Official Joey&Rory Myspace Fan Page, c'mon over and check it out if you're not already a member. We have an exclusive Fan Wanna Know interview with them, not to mention tons of tour dates, photos, etc.
www.myspace.com/joeyroryfanpage

Anonymous said...

OH man, I was ust eating up that Annabelle video. I have watched it like 3 times. She is so adoable and hilarious. I can't believe she said hey to me at the end! That was a great surprise. I like "Little Girls" the best! I just can't wait to get to see her when I come home. She is growng up to be quite a girl (not that I am surprised)! I love you. Thanks for the shout out. --Leslie

Uncle Jonathan said...

Precious video. She really reminds me of Michelle from "Full House" in this video. Let's just hope she turns out better than the Olsen twins.

Jessie said...

totally michelle tanner. oh my goodness, how do you not just eat her alive? fill us in on the music night on saturday. i could stand for some tunes.

Anonymous said...

i loved the post and the video- I loved the comments- Yes Becky you have that to look forward to- enjoy the quietness now- soon it will be GONE LIKE THE WIND :) I loved JBs comment made me laugh- ha ha ha ha Love the "little girls" part- we just watched Annie today! Fun UFn- Amie

Unknown said...

ummm, your child is brilliant.
I love that you all went to the rodeo. That is so fun.
So excited about Sat., a lot of people are doing it, so fun. we are going to try and come to your music thing afterward.

Niki said...

That video is so funny! Those songs really take me back. I think I was singing them at Annabelle's age too. I have never been to a rodeo but it sounds like a little kid's dream. And like it would be really hard for me to watch. I have a hard time with the ones on TV.