Tuesday, April 7, 2009

We had a fun, fun, very full weekend.
Let's see, Friday started with me teaching our Zoology co-op which was a grand success. The kids all had fun and were excited about making boxes so they could observe crickets for the next week. I did everything to prepare for the class that morning. .......Well, I HAD thought about what we would do and read the chapter with the kids all week, but as far as the gathering, making copies, and all that I left until the literal LAST minute...cause that is how I roll... Anyhow, I was glad to be done with my turns for teaching this semester.

Then came the coffee house at our church Friday night. I played a couple of songs alone and Susannah came up and sang and played her mandolin for about six more with me. We did the COOLEST old time version of Wayfaring Stranger. Susie played and sang lead and I joined in for some harmony and rhythm. Man, what a song......

The kids had more fun than anyone though. The boys spent the evening eating sweets, playing with all sorts of fun toys, and being with their friends. Annabelle wore her cowboy "boops" and spent the evening dancing away in front with the other girls. After she got over the fact that she wasn't allowed to sing into the mic with me, she was happy as could be dancing with the "big gullls".




It was a good time.













Then came the Greenway 5K at the Pisgah Brewery. Do you want to know why I didn't play sports growing up? Because I can't catch and am afraid of the ball.........well, yeah.....but that isn't my point. I actually couldn't play because I couldn't handle the emotional stress of any sort of competition. No really, I was reminded of this when I could not sleep Friday night because I was so nervous about a very trivial, fun 5K race that DID NOT MATTER! I think I felt pressure because I did better than I had expected in the couple of races I ran last year and I felt like I needed to beat my time or something. The weirdest thing was that I played and sang in front of a couple hundred people the night before without being the slightest bit anxious or tense. It was frustrating, but once the race started everything felt better and it was a a great day. We couldn't have asked for more perfect weather and nothing is more enjoyable than having a beer with about half the people you know in town in a field with live old time music on the little stage.








The boys hung out in the field and played with a friend in the creek and cheered us on as we ran in.














That evening was the best part of it all. We all got together and played some music that night. Not much to tell except that it was sweet and share a few pictures. I had invited some extra folks to join us and after running a 5K and having a beer, I invited a few more!















It was finally warm enough to wear my boots with a skirt instead of jeans!






































"long hair Jen" and "short hair Jen" both came which made for lots of fun! In fact, there were many others that I didn't get in the pictures sadly. You'll all just have to come next time so we can make some more photos for the blog!

















Dan and Carrie sang "Jackson" for us. It was great!

5 comments:

Courtney said...

It's funny that you can see us in the background of your photo at the race! (well sunday, my arm, paul and Lindsey at least!)

But I know exactly what you mean about race pressure.. I totally do that too.. and I can't sleep and hit the bathroom about a hundred times.. I usually surprised I have any energy since I do that!

It was great seeing you!! And good job on the 5K!!

Julie said...

I know, I saw you guys and thought about putting it on facebook and tagging everyone!

Becky Swann said...

What a fun weekend, I love that you are getting to do all the things you love to do!!

Jill said...

You guys always seem to have so much fun! What a good time!

Niki said...

Wow you did have a crazy weekend. It all sounds so fun, though. This blog post highlights a key difference between us: I would NEVER be able to sleep well the night before playing and singing in front of a couple hundred people. That sounds really similar to nightmares I've had before. I think it's really cool that it comes so naturally to you.
I can definitely relate with being unable to catch a ball, though.