Monday, March 2, 2009

Womens Retreat pictures

Saturday was a nice break from normal life. We had our annual womens retreat for church at the Biltmore. The speaker was incredible. As always, it was just a lot of fun to hang out with everyone.



Julie, Kristen, Kathy and I lead the music.


Alright, brace yourself.

I had never been to the Biltmore house before this!

Yep, lived here all my life, never gone.

Obviously, I was very excited to tour the grand house after lunch.



It was gorgeous and everything I had imagined. However, my favorite part was definitely the servants quarters, kitchen and laundry. I just loved that.......maybe cause I can relate to those folks better than the rich ones who lived in the main part of the house.

Oh and I loved all of the fabrics and wallpaper designs. Stuff like that makes me very excited. Amie kept saying after I gushed over the wallpaper in each room, "you have obviously never taken down wallpaper in a room before!" To which I replied, "No, but 1. i am never in a house long enough for my decor to go out of style and 2. I would stencil this design on the wall."


Mom rented me the earphone tour so I entertained Amie and her by talking very loudly about the history and facts of each room.

Such great info.....wow.














Then we went over to the winery but decided it was way too crowded for our liking. we'll have to do that another time.





Best part of the day:

We went up to the Biltmore Inn and sat on the terrace for soem drinks. It was cold, but they had those outdoor heaters that felt wonderful and the view was out of this world despite the rainy, dreary day. Mom, Amie and I just enjoyed being together without the kids for once.

It was lovely.




No, maybe the best part of the day was when Mom upgraded our tickets to season passes! Kids can get in free so it seemed like a really great opportunity. The part I am most interested in taking advantage of is the outdoors. They have bike trails, hiking trails, gardens, and waterfalls. I plan on spending lots of our time there as it warms up. The boys and I have been making big biking plans for this spring and summer too. A few months ago Seth showed up with a mountain bike and I want to put one of those little baby seat things on the back for Annabelle.


So if you are ever wondering where we are in the coming months, think the Biltmore House grounds.






Lately EVERYONE keeps mixing Amie and me up with one another.....no seriously it has happened probably 5 different times in the past week. I think it must be because my hair is darker. I'll take the complement!

6 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

what a fun weekend. we had a pass to the Biltmore one season and never used them. We did not have BellaRose then either. I think that we would go much more now.

Courtney said...

I've been to the Biltmore several times and I only lived in BMT for about 4 years. I'm glad you finally made it.

I liked the wall paper too!

Anonymous said...

hey my twin :) I take it as a compliment too!!! love you- it was a WONDERFUL DAY!! Amie

Becky Swann said...

It looks like such a relaxing weekend! How great to get to do that with your Mom and sister. my favorite line of this whole post was:"So if you are ever wondering where we are in the coming months, think the Biltmore House grounds"
it just made me laugh I think because I can hear you saying it!

KatieKate said...

I never made it to the biltmore, either. But it sounds gorgeous... and anywhere with trails and space is good in my book.

And I TOTALLY would have loved the laundry and kitchen and the servants' quarters, too. I love that stuff... it's where life happens :)

Glad you had a good retreat.

Niki said...

That is so funny because I had been to the Biltmore House a couple of times before I even moved here and Nick went for the first time with my family, just before we got engaged. We did the upgrade to season passes and went back a couple times to go hiking. I wish we had gone more.

And the part of your blog that made me laugh out loud was picturing you loudly telling the history of each room. That is so something I would put my mom and sisters through.