Friday, September 11, 2009

I read this to the boys last night int he 2nd chapter of Little Town on the Prairie. It brought me to tears. Such truth!


Mary had always been good. Sometimes she had been so good that Laura could hardly bear it. But now she seemed different. Once Laura asked her about it.
"You used to try all the time to be good.", Laura said. "And you always were good. It made me so mad sometimes, I wanted to slap you. But now you are good without even trying."
Mary stopped still. "Oh Laura, how awful!" Do you ever want to slap me now?"
"No, never," Laura answered honestly.
"You honestly don't? You aren't just being gentle to me because I am blind?"
"No! Really and Honestly, no, Mary. I hardly think about your being blind. I-I'm just glad you're my sister. I wish I could be like you. But I guess I never can be," Laura sighed. "I don't know how you can be so good."
"I am not really," Mary told her. "I do try, but if you could see how rebellious and mean I feel sometimes, if you could see what I really am, inside, you wouldn't want to be like me."
"I can see what you are like inside," Laura contradicted. "it shows all of the time. You are always perfectly patient and never the least bit mean."
"I know why you wanted to slap me," Mary said. "It was because I was showing off. I wasn't really wanting to be good. I was showing off to myself, what a good little girl I was, and being vain and proud, and I deserved to be slapped for it."
Laura was shocked. Then suddenly she felt that she had known that, all the time. But, nevertheless, it was not true of Mary. She said,"Oh no, you're not like that, not really. You ARE good."
"We are desperately wicked and inclined to evil as the sparks fly upwards," said Mary, using the Bible words. "But that doesn't matter."
"WHAT!" cried Laura.
"I mean I don't believe we ought to think so much about ourselves, about whether we are bad or good," Mary explained.
"But my goodness! How can anyone be good without thinking about it?" Laura demanded.
"I don't know, I guess we couldn't" Mary admitted. "I don't know how to say what I mean very well. But-it isn't so much thinking as-as just knowing. Just being sure of the goodness of God."
Laura stood still, and so did Mary, because she dared not step without Laura's arm guiding her. There Mary stood in the midst of the green and flowery miles of grass rippling in the wind, under the great blue sky and white clouds sailing, and she could not see. Everyone knows that God is good. But it seemed to Laura that Mary must be sure of it in some special way.
"You are sure, aren't you?" Laura said.
"Yes, I am sure of it now all of the time," Mary answered. "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me lie down in green pastures, He leadeth me beside still waters. I think that it the lovliest Psalm of all. Why are we stopping here? I don't smell the violets."


"A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest."
— C.S. Lewis

"A truly great book should be read in youth, again in maturity and once more in old age, as a fine building should be seen by morning light, at noon and by moonlight."
Robertson Davies

1 comment:

Adam and Annie said...

Julie! What are you doing to me?!? You know how emotional you are after a baby! I love that you typed that whole thing out. It gave me goosebumps and tears. Why can't life be like that now? Loved it.