Wednesday, November 18, 2009




Alright, let me tell you all more about our California trip. I must start with the fact that we did not take our children. We are blessed that we could leave all three of them with Seth's family for five days and know they were not only safe, but happy as well. I was worried about leaving Annabelle because we haven't been a part for any more than a night ( and that was always with Mimi). Aunt Angie said she screamed inconsolably for 30 minutes the first morning but then came to grips with it and was an angel the rest of the time. The boys were in heaven with their cousins Amy and Walker and didn't even consider that they were missing out on anything by staying on this side of the country. So....THANK YOU ANGIE, REBA, JIMMY, AND JOHNNY! You are wonderful!

Seth and I arrived in San Diego around 10 am on Wednesday morning. After getting our rental car, we went out to lunch in La Jolla at George's on the Cove. We ate some delicious fish tacos and gazed at the pacific ocean below from their rooftop terrace. best lunch date ever. Then we met up with Leslie at her house and got to take a run along the beach (which is just a block from her house!). best run ever. After that, Leslie, Amie and I went to the outlets nearby to pick up a few items and I got a sweet bracelet to wear in the wedding.
These pictures are from Thursday night. I spent the day with Leslie grabbing last minute things for the wedding and running other errands.

I went to the mall with my little sister, Leslie, and without my darn kids-------what a treat!

Some of the friends and family were staying on the base at Camp Pendleton in these cool little houses right on the beach. We had a BBQ there with a bonfire so the families could meet and hang out.

Where our family gathers, there will be music. We sat around the campfire and sang our Gillian Welch, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, and Old Crow covers. It was fabulous. I already said this on FaceBook but.....One of my favorite moments of our trip (and there were many!) was when we sang and played "Wagon Wheel" on the beach in CA. It was weird that half of the folks there not only did not know the song, but didn't know where the "Cumberland Gap" or Johnson City were!




Kiah, Lanie and Lucie did so well through this trip. I felt pretty tired so I couldn't imagine how those little gals were feeling. They were so good and took it all in stride. Lucie LOVES music and enjoyed that night a lot. They love for us to play "I'll Fly Away" so they can stand on a chair and sing.
Paul's roomate's parents showed up and joined in on the music. His Dad, Jim, was an incredible guitarist and played some killer blues with Grayson's friend Mittan. He definitely added a new sound to our music that night. Uncle Larry and I played the song for the ceremony and Jim jumped right in a picked a dirty guitar solo right away. We asked him to join us for the wedding and fortunately he did. It was perfect. I wish we could have played all night long!




A crowd of us went to a little bar in Carslbad after in lieu of a bachelor-bachelorette party.
Fun times there.

Paul is the best guy with kids EVER. No really, they adore him, and he adores them, and they love to get on his back, and he loves to carry them around. These girls had a good time with ol' Uncle Paul!
It was Justin's birthday so we had some cake and sang to him.
This was Wednesday night:

4 comments:

KatieKate said...

I so completely love your family.

Becky Swann said...

Looks like you had a blast! I have loved hearing all about it! What great memories!

Niki said...

Fun! How amazing to be able to completely relax and know your kids are happy without you. :) That looks like an awesome wedding weekend. WIsh I could have heard the beach singing and playing.

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....