Monday, January 11, 2010

Bear Creek

If I don't get this weekend recorded on the blog there is a good chance it could disappear into the black hole that IS Julie's memory. I had sworn off the Harrison family's hunting land in south Georgia, Bear Creek, for Annabelle and me a couple of summers ago....at least for a few years. The last time we went down she was a about 18 months old and I spent the weekend catching her before she fell into the pond or campfire or trying to get her to take a nap in a camper. It was just not a good fit for the Harrison girls at that point in time. I figured we might try it again when she was four or five and would just enjoy weekends at home without the boys until then. However, this past Thanksgiving we gave it another go 'round. The plan was to go down Wednesday night, see how it went, and then drive to Acworth the next day for Thanksgiving dinner where we would regroup and decide whether or not we should return to camp. Well, this time, it was love at first sight for little Annabelle when we pulled up to the three 40 year old campers set up in the middle of acres and acres of woods in LaGrange, GA. She thought of them as little play houses and was happy as could be running to and fro' between them all. We cleaned our family's camper out, made beds, and Seth and Adam set out hunting that afternoon. Caleb, Annabelle and I made a lovely campfire and got the little charcoal grill started for dinner while they were gone. It is quite rare for us to be out doing something different all alone as a little family and it turned out to be something pretty special. After roasting marshmallows and having hot chocolate, we turned in early where I read aloud (favorite pastime of mine) from The Silver Chair until everyone had drifted off to sleep.


So obviously, we drove up to where the rest of the family resides the next morning for a delicious Thanksgiving meal at Seth's aunt and Uncle's house and then went right back down to Bear Creek.

I have tried to put my finger on why exactly the weekend was so pleasant and enjoyable. Here is what I have come up with:

1. First and foremost the kids were completely happy and occupied. They and their cousins played for hours on end in the forts they made up on the hill next to camp. There is nothing I like better than to see my kids outside using their imaginations, getting lots of energy out and being happy.
2. I scrubbed our camper until it was as clean as it could get without some serious gutting and rebuilding. Everything around me was tidy and done which is a rare occurrence at home. No, actually I don't think there is ever a time at home when I have completed everything.
3. I had a great book that I got to read out in the sunshine at midday, by the campfire in the afternoon or in the camper all alone if need be.
4. Did I mention it was in the upper 60's during the day and nice and chilly at night for the fire?
5. We hung out by the campfire after dark and played some tunes which is indeed my VERY favorite pastime.


Annabelle didn't join the kids playing in the fort. She spent her time playing with Nana's chihuahua, Max, and just hanging out being satisfied. aaaahhhh, and Moma sighs happily

I made lots of plans for revamping the camper for future trips.....new cushions, curtains, mattresses, etc. Adam was all about hunting with Seth in the evenings while Caleb preferred hanging at camp. Oh, how could I forget that there was some 4-wheeling during the afternoon time..... though I will admit that is the only time in life that I worry about the boys safety and feel pretty nervous. (normally I leave that to Seth)
Drew, Seth's cousin shot a couple of does so we also packed the freezer full of all-natural, organic, FREE venison. Ever since Seth butchered deer meat within a few hundred yards of me while I was pregnant with Caleb, I cannot bear the process but the boys got a huge kick out of it all. Give me a baggy labeled roast and I will cook it right up for dinner but beyond that.....



As soon as finances and weather permits, we will be traveling back down for another weekend of laid-back outdoor fun.







Next subject. Here we are decorating gingerbread houses with everything that a dear friend so graciously brought us. I love that Adam is licking his finger in this picture....so true to the events, so true. And even more-so, Annabelle has no pants on.



5 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

great recap!
We are anxious to try camping with BellaRose, but I am not willing to have a completely sleepless night just yet. Maybe since she is in her own bed she will do better. I am glad to hear a success story after a not so successful attempt. We have not even gotten to the attempt part yet! Good Job!!
Worth would LOVE that place.

Becky Swann said...

That sounds like a great trip! I love all the points that made it so. I love that first picture of Annabelle coming out of the camper. It looks like a Myley Cyrus music video or something :)

KatieKate said...

I looooove your Bear Creek! I love that it's random and crooked and needs cleaning. And, I love that you made it work. Some day, I shall make it over to visit and we can sew curtains and cushions while the kids get muddy.

And I'm right with you on the venison. Dress it out in the woods somewhere and I 'll cook it for you. I don't need to be in on the process, thank you.

Adam and Annie said...

What a cool place. I think most of our husbands would dream of having a place like that to take our families. I'm glad the second chance was such a success. It looks like so much fun. You're totally an inspiration to me on how I want to raise my kids and do family trips.

Jessie said...

julie, i love this post so much. to continue w/ your list making, as i am also a fan of the lists:
1. that first picture of annabelle, will be on the cover of her first album...mark my words
2. your point #1 made me feel a sigh of relief too....nothing on earth like occupied kids and all at the same time, NOTHING like it.