Friday, January 18, 2008

the SMASHED thumb

.
As most of you know, we have had a crappy week here at the Harrison house. I am going to attempt to give the "Reader's Digest version" of the smashed thumb incident. Seth is always interrupting my long-winded stories and saying, "Can you just give me the Reader's Digest version?".

Tuesday night, Caleb picked up Seth's 30lb. dumbbell and put in the back of his toy dump truck. It flipped out and landed on his thumb. The thumb was a bloody, smashed mess. As for Caleb, he was screaming BLOODY murder! (I was in the basement with him but didn't realize that he had the dumbbell) We got a neighbor to come watch Annabelle and raced to the ER. They sedated him, stitched him up, x-rayed it, determined the little end bone to be fractured in many places, wrapped it up and sent us home. I took Caleb to the hand surgeon today so he could look at it. He said it would be fine but that there was a chance that the fingernail might grow in a bit bumpy. Then we got a little splint for the arm.











Wow, all of that does not do the story justice.

Remember that we are talking about Caleb here. I left out all of the parts where we had to hold him down with all of our might and when he screamed and cried for hours. Once they got the IV in that night, everything calmed down. Thank God for good drugs. The anesthetic that they gave him was really weird stuff because his eyes were open and looking around during the whole procedure, though he couldn't feel it or remember anything afterward.

Thank God for Mimi too. She came to the ER so that Seth could take Adam home. It always helps to have your Moma by your side when the going gets tough. I thought a lot that night about how many times she had been in my position with us as kids. All you want in the whole world is to take their place. I thought about how hard it was for her and others to see me in labor for all of those hours. It is worse to watch a loved one go through pain than to be the one in pain for most people. She also came to the house the next day and took the boys to get, yet another, Webkin. If all of this keeps up, they are going to have an obnoxious amount of those little critters.

Thank God for sweet neighbors too. Kelly came over to watch Annabelle and proceeded to clean our entire downstairs, which was a bigger mess than usual (go figure). I came home to the dishes done and clean floors.........heavenly! The next day, Taylor (Kelly's son), spent the day playing with the boys and keeping Caleb occupied. They even played in the snow a bit.


Annabelle came out for a few minutes too

Emily and Caleb

the snow fort


I thought today's doctor visit would be easy-breezy.I decided to get a babysitter at the last minute and thank God I did, because I couldn't have done it with Annabelle and Adam there too. The visit was atrocious! They had to remove his dressing which had a TON of dried blood on it, so we had to soak it in peroxide. If Caleb hadn't been screaming the entire time and fighting me to keep it in the cup, I would have definitely taken a picture with my phone. I love putting peroxide on things and watching the bubbles and fizz. Let me tell you about this fizz! The cup was overflowing! I had to keep getting paper towels to catch it. After that, he was completely traumatized for the umpteenth time this week, so when they fit him for the splint, I literally had to hold him in a headlock to keep his arm still. You would have thought he was being branded or something from the sound of it all.

So here we are. Caleb hates his splint. It is super cute as you can see in the picture. camoflauge and navy. I know, I know, you could barely find it at first.

He is on antibiotics again......Lord give us strength! We go back to the hand surgeon on Wednesday.


At least it isn't summer.


By the way, a lesson for everyone is this: We waited for less than 2 minutes in the ER waiting room with Caleb. When Adam had a broken femur bone (leg), we waited over 3 hours, because he wasn't crying. The nurse said that if their is a screaming kid in the waiting room, they do everything they can to get them back to a doctor. So, if you take your child to the ER, get them to scream!!!!!!!!
Also, Popsicles are helpful when giving kids medicine because they help to numb their taste buds.


Nana, Papa, and the Dunlaps are most likely coming up next weekend to visit. We are all excited and with that, I can end on a good note.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOH! My sweet Caleb! It just makes me cry to hear about him going through all of this,(and you,too.) You are one tough Moma. I love you guys. Just keep telling yourself that next weekend it will all be better, because as far as Caleb is concerned, there is nothing better than hanging out with Walker.

Julie said...

Thank you for the comment my sweet sis!

Unknown said...

Poor Caleb. Please tell him Miss Annie is so sad and that I hope he feels better.
I'm so glad I know him so that I can picture him during that whole thing. Remember passion is a good thing, it makes life really exciting.
I thought you told it perfectly, I told a really too long version of my airplane experience on my blog, fortunately no one has criticized me.
You are an awesome mom.