Monday, January 14, 2008

Most of our outings to the grocery store include a conversation with an older person or couple reminiscing about their younger parenting days. (We are usually causing a commotion) Today, I chatted a little with a couple who have five grown children that live all over the country now....3 boys 2 girls. Of course, they reminded me that these are "the best days of my life and to cherish having all of my kids under my roof." I really want to do that but it can be so hard when Adam is pushing Annabelle in the stroller down the aisles as fast as he can doing wheelies while Caleb is sitting in the buggy and has just busted the 5 lb. bag of sugar all over the place.


Actually, it was a fairly successful Walmart trip today and I wasn't really worn out by the time we got back to the van.


The point is that I am trying to take in all of this time with my kiddos and enjoy them each day. I can somewhat relate to all of these folks' sentiments because I am eight years older than my brother, Jonathan, and I spent a lot of time taking care of him as a baby. Amie helped Moma with the housework and I took care of him. Jonathan was the best baby EVER.... cute, smart, witty. He was wonderful and honestly, sometimes I ache to hold him again as a toddler. I have dreams about him as a baby once in a while (however, lots of times he turns into Caleb somewhere during the course of my dream ..weirdness) When I watch old home movies , I get all teary eyed. He was a delight in our lives!

Are you all really creeped out now? Is Jonathan sufficiently embarrassed now? Back to the point of my story, it helps me to enjoy my babies now because I know that soon enough they will be all grown up like Jonathan and off to college. I will wish we could have a crazy outing to Walmart together.





Ok, you are free to go barf over my mushiness now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Jonathan, and no, I'm not embarrased by this post. By this point in my life, I am completely comfortable with the fact that all four of my sister are absolutely enamored with me. I do, however, find it necessary to point out that Julie does not act on her longings to hold me these days. She is odd, but not quite that odd.

Rick said...

awww...what an awesome of the bartlett kiddos. if I squint my eyes just right, i can almost see y'all back in the summer of 1992. HOLY CRAP!! has it been almost 16 years?!?!!?