Friday, February 6, 2009

Let's get real

After my sweet comments from some of you on my last post I wrote a comment that needs to be included in a post:

I feel like I need to clarify that EVERYTHING I say in regards to parenting, homeschooling or whatever else is 100% regurgitated from what others have said or written. AAANNNDD that I don't do that great of a job practicing what I preach. I think I appear to have it together more than the reality of it all. Cause I don't.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that I have never produced an original thought in my life. Most everything I say or advise to people is something that another person has told me at one time and I have found true through my own experiences. This is especially true with parenting. So keep these things in mind when you read all that I have to say.....

I have been thinking a lot about this for the last couple of days and I hope that I don't come across like any sort of model mother. In fact, Annabelle has regressed tremendously in her potty training and is in fact wearing a diaper as I type this. After cleaning up multiple accidents a day that rarely are only wet, I gave up. So, truly, don't think I am the one that can give potty training advice! AAANNND, we battled the bed today at naptime finally. ( though it was short and sweet)

Parenting is truly the hardest job I have ever had. It is humbling.

But I wouldn't trade it for the world!



(old picture.....but it was all I could find in a time crunch)



7 comments:

Adam and Annie said...

First of all, how good does summer look! Secondly, I love that you're so honest, but you're still a good friend, a good mother, and a good wife. All any of us do is regurgitation from someone else, and all our mothers did was regurgitation from their mothers. We all gather from others. In my opinion, you gather good things. That's what I love. I leave it at that.

Becky Swann said...

There is nothing new under the sun, we all help eachother! Thats why God made blogs. Thank you for your honesty it is refreshing to know that no one has it together, and if they say they do they are lying:) Love you and miss you turbly

Sunday Grant Photography said...

I love that you wrote that and that you thought about it a lot. You are so sweet. I second exactly what Becky and Annie said. All advice is is second, third, etc information. You write it well and we all appreciate it. Thank you for always sharing!

Anonymous said...

Ah, well said my dear sis. You are an amazing mom. I see it first hand constantly. You have a tough but awesome bunch of kiddos. We have been so blessed with amazing examples and the wisdom from an incredible Mother and older, wiser friends.
Aunt Lorie

Anonymous said...

Oh, Woman... you are a fanstastic REAL example. Non-perfect and Non-exact... just like the rest of us.

Love you.

Niki said...

Just like everyone else, I think it's definitely a relief to know that someone doesn't have it all together. Plus, your advice is good and I'm really glad you're willing to pass on what's worked for you. So, keep it up, please. :)

Jessie said...

julie you look like a movie star in that picture.
amen to keeping it real. we do no service to eachother to paint a prettier picture than the one we're in. on tough days, i draw strength from the fact that most moms out there w/ children this age are just hanging on too maybe and feeling the complicated emotions of deep love and struggle all at once...just like i am. "we're all in this thing together"