Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Caleb, Caleb, Caleb

While I am waiting for a few more pictures from my sisters, I wanted to write about something I have thought a bit about lately. We went to bed much later than normal during Leslie's visit which led to some major bedtime meltdowns (and a few during the day as well) for the kids.....in particularly my Caleb. One night after we had a horrible episode of flipping out, spankings, and desperate prayers I sat and thought about how hard it has been to parent Caleb. He is an extreme child, with a serious temper. It would make perfect sense to think that I might struggle with loving Adam more because he has always been so easy and sweet and lovable, but I tell you this, I truly love them just the same......so much that it takes my breath away at times. Whenever Caleb flips out and screams that he hates me....and even that he hates Annabelle (which I wear him out for!), a very short time later he is so sorry and distraught over his behavior. His repentance is so sincere and sweet. It is also helpful that I have always struggled through life with my temper and when he is raging mad, I can understand how he feels and hopefully relate to him better.


By the way, the worst episode was because his underwear wouldn't fit right. I can look back at that and chuckle now....not so funny them though.

5 comments:

Becky Swann said...

Thanks for sharing, you are a great mom! I love how God gives us endless love for our kids, and to imagine he loves us even more!

KatieKate said...

Oh, I loved this. LOVED this post. Caleb reminds me very much of me when I was little. I feel for him (and you). Just love him. Love on him and give him grace.

I am just now getting caught up on blog reading from vacation! I loved your pictures in the last post!

Anonymous said...

I can say that I absolutely love and adore my nieces and nephews EXACTLY the same as well, but there are different things about them that just really pull at my heartsrings. Caleb has such an incredibly special place in my heart. I was so overwhelmed last week by how loved he makes me feel. I know he hasn't been easy, but you certainly have been a wonderful moma to him. Send him to me anytime!---Aunt Leslie

Jill said...

dude, i'm totally with you. Our Hayden is the same way. He is an incessent whiner. and cries at the drop of a hat (over the littlest things) He refuses to do things for himself (aka: pull his own blankets up when he gets cold at night) His temper is something to be reconned with as well. But he's getting better. We have had a really good week.

The hard part is that for every one of Hayden's whinning fits and freakout episodes, Cameron smiles that much cuter and is (damn I hate that I can't spell) genuanlly helpful. But then Hayden can turn it right off and turn around and give the most sincear "I love you mom!"

Hang in there you turned out ok, I'm sure he will too. Maybe some popwarner footbal would be good for him (If he likes sports) that would be a good way to get some aggression out and he wouldn't get intouble for it.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love my Caleb - yes he is so hard at times but so wonderful so many other times! Jules you are a tough and wonderful mom! Just be tough and know it will get easier! I adore you! and your family!! Love Amie