Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I Love January

It is true. Despite the bitterly cold temperatures (especially this year), I welcome January because the holidays have come and gone and life can start functioning at a productive rate.... and my aerobics classes are packed. More than that, the new year seems like a fresh start and I am often (always) in need of that. I know that setting resolutions can get you down since they tend to set us up for failure, but honestly, I feel like I have to deal with my failures each day whether I make a conscious effort to make goals or not. Thankfully my worth doesn't lie in my own abilities or accomplishments.

With that said, I'll opt once again to go with that percentage-fact (see previous year's post) which hopefully raises my chances to achieve the goals by writing them down and making them known.

Julie's 2010 Resolutions:
1. Get up at least 30 minutes before my first child (Caleb) wakes in the mornings.
2. Take my yoga mat to the gym for cleanliness reasons.
3. Take my cool metal water bottle to class as well to help save the earth.
4. Keep the car cleaned out and tidier.....should I even go as far as making a "no eating" rule? What the heck- No more eating in the car unless we are on a trip.
5. Continue reading books alone. I have been on a pretty big reading kick lately. I read to the kids at night but also read myself. The only problem is that I have a hard time finding books that I like, and when I do find them, I cannot put them down which cuts into sleep time majorly.
6. I made a long list of songs that I love and want to learn play on my guitar.
7. Write and/or finish writing a few more songs. (Gotta keep the compilation going so when my kids come of age I can go out on the road and become a famous folk singer :) )
8. Speaking of music, I just had to go and ask for the banjo back from Aunt Jeanie a few months ago so that needs to be on the list too. Learn to do the claw-hammer thing on the banjo.
9. On the domestic end of things, I want to bake more often because (long story) I now own Moma's awesome mixer. Top things on my list to perfect: banana bread and oatmeal raisin cookies.
10. What else? Oh yes, I hope to help Lorie celebrate her big Dirty Thirty in March.
11. Stay on schedule. Keep on keepin' on.
12. Never ever speed. I just had to pay a horrid traffic ticket Monday for being careless and driving 60 in a 45 on Old 70 Hwy. (which is a horrible speed trap and who made that a 45 mile/hour zone anyhow?!)
13. Get back to open mic a couple of times a month. You with me Becky? I talked to Parker at the White Horse a few days back and he said we could even call to get our names on the list so we could get the kids in bed first.




With all that said, it's certainly a good thing I don't place too much stock in achieving my new years resolutions. I just took a look back at the posts from my 2008 and 2009 Resolutions and I haven't done too well on accomplishing them.....I didn't run a half marathon (and decided I may never run one unless I quit teaching aerobics), didn't sell the house, didn't finish Annabelle's scrapbook, I still need to make the kids help more around the house, and I still need to organize some things and cook more. Thank the good Lord that His mercies are new every morning and not just in January.

I will just have to keep those things one the list for this year too. Never give up, right?


What is a blog post without a picture? boring, right. How about this one:

I got this obnoxiously sequined shirt to wear to kickboxing class right after new years and she has been wearing it for the past few days. It fits me a little better.

I am still working on a home school update for the blog. Well, just mentally... but I am thinking of what I can share about our recent struggles.... and changes...... and the realisations that have followed from it all.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm with you on january.. it's moer of a love/hate thing.. it can make me depressed (not so much daylight and so cold) but also I love the chance to start fresh, it's like you can hit the reset button and try again.. and I don't put too much pressure on the resolutions.. though I still like to make them as well..

The Sooz said...

These sound great.

BTW, we should do an open mic night or two together this summer.

Sunday Grant Photography said...

this is always one of my favorite posts from you. you always remind to look towards God and not put so much pressure on my "resolutions" or goals. You are right His mercies are new every morning!!!! I LOVE to read and I find myself in the same boat as you, I have not found an amazing book lately, although I did just finish "the help" which is awesome. Annie is going to borrow it now, but you can after her. Also Pat Conroy's new book is good, and I hate to admit it but I am reading currently Nicholas Sparks new book "Dear John". So there you go on the book front.

Anonymous said...

I will make you keep #10 and the picture of Anna is awesome. What is it with little girls and sfarkles?

Aunt Lorie

Becky Swann said...

Oh the White Horse! I hadn't thought of that before! I am really proud of you for writing songs I have been thinking about trying to write again too! This would be good motivation for me. I wish we had kept singing I would love to get back into it with you!

Adam and Annie said...

Old 70 is still such a speed trap, huh? Some things never change. I love this post. I wish I could hear you guys at open mic. I'd be your biggest fan (well at least one of them, I'm sure you have many already)!