Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The next noteworthy happening in October was our Cheshire Music Gig.  After class one day, a lady told me how much she enjoyed the last time we played there and then asked when we were doing it again.  I really start thinking and figuring on how we could make it happen this fall before the weather turned too cold.  The biggest obstacle was the sound system.  We borrowed a system from a church last time but had some difficulties with feedback and not being loud enough and what-not so I was reluctant to go that route again. I had been hinting around to my dad for the past few months that what I really needed was a crowd-around mic (you know, one of those old timey looking ones) and an amp to better my musical ventures.  One night he called me up and said he wanted me to go look at a microphone that he was watching on Craigslist.  We loaded up the kids and on the way there he told me that actually we were going to look at a whole sound system and that he had always wanted to own one.  To make a long story short, we bought the system, stopped Krispy Kreme Doughnuts at 10:30 to get the kids all loaded down with a sugar treat and then headed to the house.  And suddenly we had the means to do our little outside concert again. ....A lot more means than I had ever even imagined we would have. 
Saturday, October 16th, from 4:00 to 6:00pm, we played some music and I got to pretend that I was a folk star for a bit.  It was awesome. The weather was glorious.  More people came than we had expected and the sound was great.  I woke up at 5am that morning too excited to sleep anymore and my cheeks were sore that evening from grinning the entire day.  Did I mention it was awesome?
pre show group shots.  The top picture is the one where I look most normal.  In the other pictures Lauren and Amie  someone told us that we should all look in different directions and so I am looking off while everyone else is smiling and looking at the camera...which explains the bottom one...oh yeah, and Nate listened to them too.

The kids hanging out while the folks gathered before the show. 
Nate: Dobro.....me: vocals and guitar.....Seth:bass.......
Chip: lead guitar and vocals......Adam: mandolin

 The only problem now is that I am OBSESSED with doing something like that again.   The Cheshire folks said that they would love to have us once a month, but that can't work in the winter so we'll just have to plan for next spring at this point.  We may be playing a benefit at a local concert hall in December.  


Oh don't worry, I will tell you all about it!

2 comments:

Becky Swann said...

Very Very cool I hate that I missed it!!!
You do look like a folk star in that cute dress with the boots and the flower in your hair!
How awesome would it be if you did that once a month, a monthly gig! How cool!!!

KatieKate said...

LIVING THE DREAM, Woman.

That dress is fan-flippin'-tastic. The purple with the red flower... perfect. Seriously perfect.

I have a new plan: when we re-raise the red barn up here and have our hayride/squaredance inside, you and your peeps will come up as the Special Music. You have 2 years to get ready. I request Animal Tracks (of course) and I'll Fly Away.